Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Error at object ‘DatabaseSelection’ in markup file

I tried to install AdventureWorks OLAP and OLTP Sample by running AdventureWorks2008_SR4.exe on SQL Server 2008 Standard Edition, but after I accepted the license agreement, the installation gave me this error:

Failed object initialization (ISupportInitialize.EndInit). An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. Error at object ‘DatabaseSelection’ in markup file ‘DatabaseInstaller;component/databaseselection.xaml’ Line 78 Position 3.

Then I launched the SQL Server Configuration Manager, and I found there are 3 instances running in my desktop: ACT7, SQL Express, and MSSQLSERVER. Only MSSQLSERVER instance is SQL Server 2008, the other two are SQL 2005. I guess the installation have not ability to identify which one is SQL Server 2008 instance, and already pick up the wrong instance to connect, so I stopped the two SQL Server 2005 instances, and run the AdventureWorks2008_SR4.exe again. I found the error's just gone.

It looks like the installation need to be improved so that user can select the instance to install when multiple instances exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment